Why implants are an affordable option for Brentwood patients
By Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
At Brentwood Family Dental, we help patients achieve a beautiful smile. While the upfront cost of dental bridges is less than dental implants, Dr. Alkhoury wants patients to understand how the long-term costs make implants the more affordable option.
Both implants and bridges address the problem of a missing tooth or a few missing teeth. Traditionally, a dental bridge was the only option available. In recent decades, dental implants have become the preferred method for tooth replacement.
- A bridge is formed by recontouring the permanent teeth on both sides of the gap. Crowns are placed on these teeth. This is the “anchor” for the false tooth.
- A dental implant is a small post that is placed in your jawbone. The bone heals around the titanium. The bone now holds the post in place, creating an “anchor” for the false tooth.
The hidden costs of bridges:
- Dental bridges often only last around five years. A dental implant is a permanent solution to a missing tooth.
- The teeth that are used as “anchors” for the bridge are at a higher risk of decay. This often results in the need for a root canal and a new crown.
- Bridges require special oral hygiene. Dental implants can be treated as natural teeth.
- Bone and gum tissue loss occurs under a bridge. This destabilizes the teeth surrounding the bridge. Further tooth loss can occur. An implant is closer to a natural tooth root and allows the bone and gums to be preserved.
Over the course of a lifetime, a dental bridge will require returning to the dentist periodically. Dr. Alkhoury is committed to positive patient experiences and believes dental implants are the best option. Brentwood Family Dental will help you find the way to a beautiful smile. Call us today at 925-344-5296.
Last Updated - December 2016
Back to Dental Implants Treatment Page
Patient full consent to show the case of her son is enforced and results may vary!
Brentwood family dental In the news
Award Winning Dentistry With An Artistic Touch!
I came to Brentwood Family Dental when I was referred by a ENT Doctor. When I had my first visit I could only open my mouth slightly due to pain. I went...