Tips for getting used to your new denture appliance from our dental practice near Walnut Creek
Being fitted with new dentures after the loss or removal of all teeth on the upper or lower arch can restore your beautifully natural smile and facilitate proper chewing function. This should be an exciting time, during which you work with your dentist to customize your new denture
in our dental
practice near Walnut Creek
For many new denture wearers, this experience brings about certain challenges. Your denture appliance, although intended to replace natural teeth, feels foreign to the soft tissues of the mouth. This appliance cannot exactly duplicate the structure and capabilities of natural teeth. Consequently, it will likely take some time for the mouth to adjust to its new structure.
In working with patients towards their customized denture appliance, we strive to facilitate optimal function and satisfaction. We also quickly address any difficulties should they occur.
Getting used to new dentures takes patience, time, and perseverance. The first few days can be trying, with the new appliance feeling bulky against the cheeks and lips. Rather than removing uncomfortable dentures, you are encouraged to wear them as much as possible so that soft tissues can adjust to the changes that have occurred. Many people wear their dentures both day and night for several days, allowing the tongue, cheeks, and lips to adjust to the new appliance.
New dentures may affect speech for a short time, as the muscles learn new habits. If your speech is slurred or certain sounds affected, rest assured that a return to your normal speaking habits is forthcoming. Increased salivation and a heightened gag reflex may also occur, but will decrease gradually until they ultimately disappear.
Chewing with a new denture will also require a bit of practice. To make this process easier, we recommend a diet of soft foods, with the gradual introduction of foods that require more chewing. Using both sides of the mouth at the same time will help to stabilize the denture, and chewing with back teeth should keep the appliance from coming loose.
Our gum tissue is delicate, and is accustomed to teeth that are situated within, not on top. Wearing a new denture appliance may produce soreness in the gums. This can be remedied by rinsing the mouth with warm salt water. If soreness persists, contact your dentist for an evaluation. The various challenges that tend to accompany dentures can be alleviated by choosing a hybrid denture, which is stabilized by a few dental implants. Your Brentwood area dentist can help you determine the option most suitable to your specific needs.
Contact us to experience your best smile.
Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
Dr Jamil Alkhoury believes dentists to be artists. Taking care of another person’s teeth is definitely an art in which Dr Jamil Alkhoury is an expert. Having graduated from University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) with a degree in Advanced Education in General Dentistry, he has always focused on the well-being of his patients. Brentwood family dental headed by Dr Jamil Alkhoury offers a wide range of services. He always keeps in touch with the developments in the field, to serve his purpose to the best of his abilities.
Back to Dentures And Partials Home Page
- High-quality, real-looking dentures are available with Brentwood, CA area dentist
- Dentist in Brentwood, CA answers, “How do dentures work?”
- Dental practice in Brentwood, CA describes the benefits of partial dentures
- Dentures in Brentwood, CA: Common problems and solutions
- Do dentures look like real teeth for patients in Brentwood, CA?
- Trust your denture repairs to Dr. Jamil Alkhoury in Brentwood
- Best suggestions to avoid the need for denture repair offered by your dentist in Brentwood, CA
- Regain confidence after tooth loss with complete dentures care in Brentwood
- Leave your Brentwood, CA denture repairs to your dentist
- Tips for getting used to your new denture appliance from our dental practice near Walnut Creek
- Your Brentwood dentist has options for denture stabilization
- Are you in need of dentures? Your dentist near Discovery Bay, CA offers options that work
- Your dentist can help you decide if implant treatment or a denture is your best option near Antioch for restoration