Factors that play into the need for receding gum treatment in Brentwood
The problem of gum recession can be tricky, mainly due to the fact that the wearing or pulling away of gum tissue from tooth surfaces occurs gradually. This problem, which may be an indicator for gum disease, may be recognized more as a cosmetic problem, such as a tooth or teeth looking longer than normal. Sometimes gum recession can be felt as a notch where the tooth and gums used to meet, or as tooth sensitivity.
When this problem is noticed, you will want to see your dentist for receding gum treatment
or other restorative care. In our Brentwood
dental office, Dr. Alkhoury offers an innovative way to treat receding gums. We also discuss with our patients the factors that may lead to gum recession.
- Genetics play a role in everything from our eye color to, yes, oral health. Research findings tell us that as much as 30 percent of the population has a genetic predisposition towards gum disease, regardless of oral hygiene.
- Oral hygiene is an important part of keeping teeth and gums healthy. If brushing and flossing are not adequately performed, plaque and tartar build up around teeth and gums, allowing bacteria to weaken gum tissue and cause recession.
- Bruxism is the condition that describes tooth clenching and grinding. Not only do these habits cause undue wear and tear on teeth, but can also cause gums to recede as a result of force.
- Periodontal disease, in which bacteria have infected gum tissue, destroys the supportive network that keeps teeth stable. The primary cause of gum recession is periodontal disease, or gum disease.
- Overly aggressive brushing, as well as brushing teeth the wrong way, is hard on delicate tissues and can lead to gum recession.
- Smoking and other tobacco use causes irritation to tissues as well as inflammation. Chemicals in tobacco products rob tissues of oxygen and lead to degeneration and gum recession.
- Hormonal changes affect blood flow to gum tissue, increasing the risk of gum recession, especially in women.
- Misalignment poses more than cosmetic concerns. When teeth do not properly fit together, the force placed on gums and bone is too great and gums may recede under excessive pressure.
When we recognize the factors that are at play in the development of gum recession, we are better able to prevent this problem with lifestyle modifications and professional care. When gum tissue has receded, we offer a non-surgical procedure that effectively regenerates this tissue.
Contact Brentwood Family Dental to learn more about how to prevent and repair gum recession.
Back to Gum Lift Rejuvenation Home Page
These video testimonials are from actual patients treated by Dr. Alkhoury after their consent to display their testimonials
, results are not the same and may vary.
Brentwood family dental In the news
Award Winning Dentistry With An Artistic Touch!
Dr Alkhoury is a true artist. Brentwood Family Dental has it all! One stop from implants, Ortho, cosmetic and children's dentistry. All his staff it's awesome! Best of Brentwood #1