Making sense of the myths surrounding root canal treatment from your dentist near Antioch
Millions of people feel apprehension about undergoing dental treatment. According to the American Association of Endodontics, which conducted a survey on the topic of dental fears, apprehension typically stems from secondhand information. Of the various stories that people love to tell, those related to the awfulness of root canal therapy seem to top the list.
Many decades ago, certain dental procedures were more complex. The advances in anesthesia and techniques that have come about in our century, however, have made root canal
therapy far more comfortable, quick, and effective than ever before. With Dr. Alkhoury, your dentist
, you will benefit from years of experience and compassionate care in the event root canal therapy is needed.
To feel more confident about undergoing this treatment, it is necessary to understand the reality of the root canal.
Myth #1 – Root canal therapy is painful.
The root canal procedure is one that has long been associated with pain. The pain associated with root canals is from the condition, not the treatment. Extensive damage allows bacteria to travel to the center of the tooth where the pulp, root, and nerves lie. As pulp becomes infected by bacterial activity, nerves send strong pain signals to the brain, worsening if left untreated. To clear the infection and prevent further complications involving bone, the pulp must be removed. Through root canal therapy, the source of tooth pain is eliminated and full function is restored.
Root canal therapy is a procedure performed under local anesthesia, ensuring that you feel no pain throughout treatment. Brentwood Family Dental also incorporates the latest in dental technology to improve comfort and minimize stress related to treatment.
Myth #2 – Root canal therapy is a lengthy procedure.
Some people fear root canal therapy, believing they will spend hours in the dental chair. This procedure is very similar to receiving a dental filling. Root canal treatment involves removing damaged tooth structure and infected pulp, and sterilizing and filling the root chamber. After root canal therapy, the treated tooth can become brittle. To preserve strength, a dental crown is placed over the treated tooth.
Myth #3 – Removing the tooth is easier than having to have a root canal.
It is a popular thought to remove a tooth rather than have root canal therapy. Preservation of natural tooth structure is always the first priority. Removing an infected tooth will eliminate the source of immediate pain. The consequences, however, can be quite extensive. Anytime a tooth is removed, a suitable replacement must be found. Otherwise, surrounding teeth will lean into the space created by the missing tooth, causing misalignment and increasing the risk of periodontal disease.
The practice of extracting a tooth to avoid undergoing root canal therapy would result in the need for dental implant treatment or replacement with a dental bridge. At Brentwood Family Dental, our patients are treated with state-of-the-art technology and extensive experience.
Contact us for your dental care needs.
Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
Dr Jamil Alkhoury believes dentists to be artists. Taking care of another person’s teeth is definitely an art in which Dr Jamil Alkhoury is an expert. Having graduated from University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) with a degree in Advanced Education in General Dentistry, he has always focused on the well-being of his patients. Brentwood family dental headed by Dr Jamil Alkhoury offers a wide range of services. He always keeps in touch with the developments in the field, to serve his purpose to the best of his abilities.
Back to Root Canal Home Page
- Saving a natural tooth with the root canal procedure performed by Brentwood area dentist
- Brentwood, CA area patients ask, how does root canal treatment prevent tooth loss?
- Dentist near Brentwood discusses the benefits of root canal treatment
- Visit with root canal specialist to discuss treatment in Brentwood, CA
- How is the root canal procedure performed in Brentwood, CA dental practices?
- Endodontic treatment by your dentist in Brentwood, CA, can lead to preservation of natural tooth
- Receive compassionate dentistry near Antioch, CA when root canal surgery is required
- Dentist near Walnut Creek, CA explains the purpose of root canal surgery
- Relief from a severe toothache may come from root canal therapy in Brentwood, California
- Brentwood, California ends tooth pain with specific abscess treatment
- Medicating a toothache may lead to root canal surgery
- Are you surprised to hear your Brentwood, CA dentist say you need root canal surgery?
- Root canals are often the ideal treatment for broken teeth near Oakley, CA
- Endodontics as a Preferred Dental Specialty
- Brentwood dentistry and your options for restoration
- Pain relief comes through root canal therapy in our family dentistry Brentwood practice
- Making sense of the myths surrounding root canal treatment from your dentist near Antioch
- Can root canal treatment near Antioch be avoided?
- Focused on endodontics, your dentist near Discovery Bay, CA can help you avoid pain