Dentist near Walnut Creek, CA explains the purpose of root canal surgery
When a painful toothache strikes, it is time to contact a dentist. Patients in and near Walnut Creek, CA know they can count on gentle and compassionate treatment at Brentwood Family Dental. Sometimes, a toothache can be a sign of infection. Our dentist, Dr. Jamil Alkhoury, can perform root canal surgery to remove the infection. Many patients will ask, "What is the purpose of a root canal?" We are happy to explain.
Learning about tooth anatomy
It is important to understand the tooth makeup. The root canal is comprised of nerves, blood vessels, and other tissues. When a tooth becomes damaged, an infection can develop. The dental pulp dies and the body will react with an inflammatory response. It is critical to seek treatment when a toothache or other warning signs of infection appear including an abscessed tooth, swollen or tender gums, tooth discoloration, or sensitivity to hot or cold foods and beverages. Left untreated, the infection can affect the bloodstream.
Understanding the purpose of root canals
Although root canals have a bad reputation, the truth is they are nothing to fear. They actually provide pain relief and are typically painless. The affected area will be numbed with local anesthetic before the procedure to provide the utmost comfort.
Do you want to explore root canal treatment? During a consultation, Dr. Alkhoury will examine the mouth, teeth, and gums. We may use digital x-rays to examine the jawbone and soft tissues. If a root canal is recommended, Dr. Alkhoury will tailor a treatment plan to meet your needs.
During surgery, Dr. Alkhoury will carefully clean the canal of debris and the infection. The root canal will be disinfected before it is filled and sealed. Dr. Alkhoury can then place a dental crown to protect the tooth. A porcelain dental crown can add natural beauty and optimal function to the smile and is stain resistant, strong, and durable. This ideal restoration can renew confidence and boost self-esteem.
Do you have a painful toothache? Do not delay treatment. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Alkhoury by calling our team at 925-344-5296 today.
Last Updated - September 2015
Back to Root Canal Home Page
- Brentwood, CA area patients ask, how does root canal treatment prevent tooth loss?
- Dentist near Brentwood discusses the benefits of root canal treatment
- Visit with root canal specialist to discuss treatment in Brentwood, CA
- How is the root canal procedure performed in Brentwood, CA dental practices?
- Endodontic treatment by your dentist in Brentwood, CA, can lead to preservation of natural tooth
- Receive compassionate dentistry near Antioch, CA when root canal surgery is required
- Dentist near Walnut Creek, CA explains the purpose of root canal surgery
- Relief from a severe toothache may come from root canal therapy in Brentwood, California
- Brentwood, California ends tooth pain with specific abscess treatment
- Medicating a toothache may lead to root canal surgery
- Are you surprised to hear your Brentwood, CA dentist say you need root canal surgery?
- Root canals are often the ideal treatment for broken teeth near Oakley, CA
- Endodontics as a Preferred Dental Specialty
- Brentwood dentistry and your options for restoration
- Pain relief comes through root canal therapy in our family dentistry Brentwood practice
- Making sense of the myths surrounding root canal treatment from your dentist near Antioch
- Can root canal treatment near Antioch be avoided?
- Focused on endodontics, your dentist near Discovery Bay, CA can help you avoid pain