For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
Although various lifestyle modifications may improve sleep in the person who suffers from obstructive sleep apnea, the standard medical therapy for this condition is CPAP, or continuous positive airway pressure.
The way that CPAP therapy works is with forced air, delivered through a mask worn during sleeping hours. This mask remains stable on the face with a strap that fits around the head. On the other end of the mask is a hose that extends to a small air pump that sits bedside. When the CPAP mask is worn as directed, the idea is that forced air will keep the airway open as muscles around the throat become fully relaxed.
The problem with CPAP therapy is not in effectiveness but more in design. The idea of keeping the airway open with forced air is solid, and it works. The issue is that patients prescribed CPAP therapy can experience a range of uncomfortable effects as they attempt to improve their quality of sleep. Some of the side effects that can stand in the way of compliance with CPAP treatment include:
- Eye irritation due to air leakage from the mask
- Emotional distress at having to be hooked to a mask and machine at night
- Feelings of claustrophobia
- Throat and sinus irritation from air pressure
- Difficulty exhaling against air pressure
- Persistent dryness in the throat and nasal passages
- Chronic headaches
- Difficulty sleeping through the noise of the air compressor
- Changes to voice
- Chronic sinus infections
- Ringing in the ears
- Stomach pain due to ingested air
CPAP intolerance does not have to mean living with obstructive sleep apnea and the associated health complications. Patients diagnosed with this sleep disorder can find help in the office of their experienced dentist. Dr. Jamil Alkhoury offers a CPAP alternative that many patients in the Brentwood, CA area find appealing. The comfort and efficiency of oral appliance therapy has been well documented and reported by patients themselves.
They key to eliminating the dangerous effects of obstructive sleep apnea is compliance. When treatment is uncomfortable, compliance will likely be a challenge. To discover a more comfortable path towards improved sleep, call Brentwood Family Dental at 925-344-5296.
Back to Family Dentistry Home Page
- Brentwood, CA dentist offers treatment for the jaw joints for patients with TMJ or TMD
- Dentist in Brentwood, CA describes obstructive sleep apnea symptoms and effective treatment
- Brentwood, CA dentist suggests oral appliance therapy as treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood area dentist discusses the symptoms, causes, and treatment of TMJ disorder
- Learn about the ways sleep apnea can hurt your health from Brentwood, CA dentist
- Dentist in Brentwood describes signs that you may have obstructive sleep apnea and need appliances
- Can a dentist help with sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea?
- Sleep apnea treatment by a dentist may eliminate the need for CPAP therapy
- Treatment for sleep apnea is available for Brentwood and Walnut Creek, CA area patients at Brentwood Family Dental
- Brentwood and Oakley, California area patients can enjoy therapy for TMJ with a dental professional
- Alternatives to traditional methods for sleep apnea and snoring relief available in Brentwood
- Brentwood area patients who have TMJ disorder can seek treatment with Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
- Brentwood, CA dentist describes obstructive sleep apnea
- Walnut Creek residents can visit area dentist for a sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea and treatment with latest innovations
- Brentwood patient asks, "What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?"
- Stop snoring with effective therapy from doctor in Brentwood
- Patients in Walnut Creek, CA seek a caring dentist to treat symptoms of TMJ disorder
- For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
- See your dentist for CPAP intolerance in Brentwood CA
- TMJ treatment in the Walnut Creek, CA area may alleviate chronic headache pain
- Your Brentwood dentist can determine if snoring is obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep breathing disorders may masquerade as insomnia. Your dentist near Antioch can find the underlying cause of sleep loss
- Finding a dentist to treat TMJ near Discovery Bay, CA leads to improved quality of life
- Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist can find the underlying cause of concerning symptoms
These video testimonials are from actual patients treated by Dr. Alkhoury after their consent to display their testimonials
, results are not the same and may vary.
Brentwood family dental In the news
Award Winning Dentistry With An Artistic Touch!
May 9, 2018. Best dentist visit ever. My experience really change my view with dentists.
First of all I hate dental visit because of many prior...