For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
Although various lifestyle modifications may improve sleep in the person who suffers from obstructive sleep apnea, the standard medical therapy for this condition is CPAP, or continuous positive airway pressure.
The way that CPAP therapy works is with forced air, delivered through a mask worn during sleeping hours. This mask remains stable on the face with a strap that fits around the head. On the other end of the mask is a hose that extends to a small air pump that sits bedside. When the CPAP mask is worn as directed, the idea is that forced air will keep the airway open as muscles around the throat become fully relaxed.
The problem with CPAP therapy is not in effectiveness but more in design. The idea of keeping the airway open with forced air is solid, and it works. The issue is that patients prescribed CPAP therapy can experience a range of uncomfortable effects as they attempt to improve their quality of sleep. Some of the side effects that can stand in the way of compliance with CPAP treatment include:
- Eye irritation due to air leakage from the mask
- Emotional distress at having to be hooked to a mask and machine at night
- Feelings of claustrophobia
- Throat and sinus irritation from air pressure
- Difficulty exhaling against air pressure
- Persistent dryness in the throat and nasal passages
- Chronic headaches
- Difficulty sleeping through the noise of the air compressor
- Changes to voice
- Chronic sinus infections
- Ringing in the ears
- Stomach pain due to ingested air
CPAP intolerance does not have to mean living with obstructive sleep apnea and the associated health complications. Patients diagnosed with this sleep disorder can find help in the office of their experienced dentist. Dr. Jamil Alkhoury offers a CPAP alternative that many patients in the Brentwood, CA area find appealing. The comfort and efficiency of oral appliance therapy has been well documented and reported by patients themselves.
They key to eliminating the dangerous effects of obstructive sleep apnea is compliance. When treatment is uncomfortable, compliance will likely be a challenge. To discover a more comfortable path towards improved sleep, call Brentwood Family Dental at 925-344-5296.
Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
Dr Jamil Alkhoury believes dentists to be artists. Taking care of another person’s teeth is definitely an art in which Dr Jamil Alkhoury is an expert. Having graduated from University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) with a degree in Advanced Education in General Dentistry, he has always focused on the well-being of his patients. Brentwood family dental headed by Dr Jamil Alkhoury offers a wide range of services. He always keeps in touch with the developments in the field, to serve his purpose to the best of his abilities.
Back to Family Dentistry Home Page
- Understanding the dangerous connection between obstructive sleep apnea and high blood pressure levels
- Treatments for TMJ disorders and associated pain relief with Brentwood area dentist
- Brentwood, CA area dentist offers therapy options for TMJ headaches and obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood, CA dentist offers treatment for the jaw joints for patients with TMJ or TMD
- Dentist in Brentwood, CA describes obstructive sleep apnea symptoms and effective treatment
- Brentwood, CA dentist suggests oral appliance therapy as treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood area dentist discusses the symptoms, causes, and treatment of TMJ disorder
- Learn about the ways sleep apnea can hurt your health from Brentwood, CA dentist
- Dentist in Brentwood describes signs that you may have obstructive sleep apnea and need appliances
- Can a dentist help with sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea?
- Sleep apnea treatment by a dentist may eliminate the need for CPAP therapy
- Treatment for sleep apnea is available for Brentwood and Walnut Creek, CA area patients at Brentwood Family Dental
- Brentwood and Oakley, California area patients can enjoy therapy for TMJ with a dental professional
- Alternatives to traditional methods for sleep apnea and snoring relief available in Brentwood
- Brentwood area patients who have TMJ disorder can seek treatment with Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
- Brentwood, CA dentist describes obstructive sleep apnea
- Walnut Creek residents can visit area dentist for a sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea and treatment with latest innovations
- Brentwood patient asks, "What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?"
- Stop snoring with effective therapy from doctor in Brentwood
- Patients in Walnut Creek, CA seek a caring dentist to treat symptoms of TMJ disorder
- For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
- See your dentist for CPAP intolerance in Brentwood CA
- TMJ treatment in the Walnut Creek, CA area may alleviate chronic headache pain
- Your Brentwood dentist can determine if snoring is obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep breathing disorders may masquerade as insomnia. Your dentist near Antioch can find the underlying cause of sleep loss
- Finding a dentist to treat TMJ near Discovery Bay, CA leads to improved quality of life
- Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist can find the underlying cause of concerning symptoms
Patient full consent to show the case of her son is enforced and results may vary!
Brentwood family dental In the news
Award Winning Dentistry With An Artistic Touch!
A Success Story
Originally, Powered By
Dr Alkhoury is wonderful! He took great care of my 5 year old daughter. He and his assistant made my daughter feel very comfortable. She is wanting to come back to the dentist for her next check up already. Highly recommend! They are the best at Brentwood Family Dental. Thank you Dr Alkhoury!!!