Finding a dentist to treat TMJ near Discovery Bay, CA leads to improved quality of life
We use our jaws every day, in several different ways. The jaw is functional due to the motions made possible by the temporomandibular joints. Because these joints, called TMJs, typically work properly, we rarely think of them. Some people experience discomfort that begins in the jaw, and spreads to nearby areas such as the face, ears, neck, and shoulders. Chronic discomfort and clicking in the jaw during certain movements are common signs that the TMJs have become dysfunctional.
TMJs are situated on each side of the jaw, just in front of the ears. When irritation occurs, the imbalance within these joints creates a domino effect, impacting surrounding ligaments and muscles. Called TMJ disorder, this imbalance may be felt differently in every person affected. Although there is the common association made between jaw clicking and TMJ disorder, this is not always a telltale sign. Some people's jaws click regularly, without the presence of TMJ disorder. Others with dysfunctional joints never experience jaw clicks, but other uncomfortable symptoms such as chronic headaches develop.
Determining if TMJ disorder is behind uncomfortable symptoms is important for quality of life. Chronic pain of any sort can diminish your experiences. Fortunately, it is not difficult to find a dentist
to treat TMJ
disorder in the area of Discovery Bay, CA
. Dr. Alkhoury holds to the philosophy that conservative treatment is ideal, with the focus on finding what may have triggered dysfunction in the first place.
Detecting TMJ disorder early allows us to intervene in non-invasive ways. The dental approach to TMJ treatment is to relieve the pressure on the joints and surrounding soft tissues using a customized oral appliance, often worn at night. Many people who develop TMJ also clench or grind their teeth while they sleep. This appliance can buffer the intense pressure of clenching, and keep the jaw properly positioned for stress-relief. We go above and beyond the conventional standard of treatment, working to alleviate discomfort quickly with additional treatments such as a therapeutic compound and laser cold therapy.
TMJ is a condition that can often be misdiagnosed, as some symptoms may seem random and unrelated to the jaw. Dr. Alkhoury, with his extensive understanding of the jaw and the way it works, can help you find relief from discomfort once and for all. Contact us for your TMJ evaluation.
Back to Family Dentistry Home Page
- Brentwood, CA dentist offers treatment for the jaw joints for patients with TMJ or TMD
- Dentist in Brentwood, CA describes obstructive sleep apnea symptoms and effective treatment
- Brentwood, CA dentist suggests oral appliance therapy as treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood area dentist discusses the symptoms, causes, and treatment of TMJ disorder
- Learn about the ways sleep apnea can hurt your health from Brentwood, CA dentist
- Dentist in Brentwood describes signs that you may have obstructive sleep apnea and need appliances
- Can a dentist help with sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea?
- Sleep apnea treatment by a dentist may eliminate the need for CPAP therapy
- Treatment for sleep apnea is available for Brentwood and Walnut Creek, CA area patients at Brentwood Family Dental
- Brentwood and Oakley, California area patients can enjoy therapy for TMJ with a dental professional
- Alternatives to traditional methods for sleep apnea and snoring relief available in Brentwood
- Brentwood area patients who have TMJ disorder can seek treatment with Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
- Brentwood, CA dentist describes obstructive sleep apnea
- Walnut Creek residents can visit area dentist for a sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea and treatment with latest innovations
- Brentwood patient asks, "What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?"
- Stop snoring with effective therapy from doctor in Brentwood
- Patients in Walnut Creek, CA seek a caring dentist to treat symptoms of TMJ disorder
- For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
- See your dentist for CPAP intolerance in Brentwood CA
- TMJ treatment in the Walnut Creek, CA area may alleviate chronic headache pain
- Your Brentwood dentist can determine if snoring is obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep breathing disorders may masquerade as insomnia. Your dentist near Antioch can find the underlying cause of sleep loss
- Finding a dentist to treat TMJ near Discovery Bay, CA leads to improved quality of life
- Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist can find the underlying cause of concerning symptoms