Sleep breathing disorders may masquerade as insomnia. Your dentist near Antioch can find the underlying cause of sleep loss
Insomnia, or the inability to sleep soundly, affects many people at some point in their lives. Most often, insomnia will be a temporary disruption, perhaps during a time of stress or because of certain types of food. When sound sleep is not attainable, there may be something more than standard insomnia causing it. Often, sleep breathing disorders
like obstructive sleep apnea are the cause of restlessness.
In our office near Antioch
, we help patients discover the cause of sleeplessness and provide comfortable treatment for sleep apnea. We understand the vital importance of sleep, and know that sleep loss can affect every area of a person's life. Without the right amount of sleep, our personality can change, causing difficulties at work and at home. The first step in finding the right treatment is to examine the severity of the problem.
Some of the signs that you're not getting enough sleep include:
- You feel extremely tired throughout the day, regardless of what you are doing.
- You have a hard time completing tasks as needed at work or at home.
- You are easily irritated
- You feel depressed
- You doze off at work, in front of the television, or even at stoplights.
Signs that sleep apnea could be behind insomnia include:
- You snore loudly.
- Snoring is interrupted by long pauses, followed by gasping or choking sounds.
- You frequently wake with a sore throat or headache.
- You have a large neck circumference.
The problem with sleep-disordered breathing like obstructive sleep apnea is that many people are unaware of the severity of their problem. Although it is commonly understood that we need sleep in order to remain healthy, there are challenges when it comes to determining just why we are not sleeping.
Snoring, especially loudly, could be a sign that sleep apnea is causing sleep deprivation. Many people who snore think that this is their primary problem. It is important to understand that, although they may sound similar, sleep apnea is far different from snoring. With sleep apnea, breathing completely stops for 10 seconds or more, whereas when someone snores, he or she is still moving air.
You can determine if you are affected by sleep apnea even if you sleep alone. If you experience the signs we have mentioned, we encourage you to schedule a visit with Dr. Alkhoury for a thorough evaluation and exploration of treatment options.
Back to Family Dentistry Home Page
- Brentwood, CA dentist offers treatment for the jaw joints for patients with TMJ or TMD
- Dentist in Brentwood, CA describes obstructive sleep apnea symptoms and effective treatment
- Brentwood, CA dentist suggests oral appliance therapy as treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood area dentist discusses the symptoms, causes, and treatment of TMJ disorder
- Learn about the ways sleep apnea can hurt your health from Brentwood, CA dentist
- Dentist in Brentwood describes signs that you may have obstructive sleep apnea and need appliances
- Can a dentist help with sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea?
- Sleep apnea treatment by a dentist may eliminate the need for CPAP therapy
- Treatment for sleep apnea is available for Brentwood and Walnut Creek, CA area patients at Brentwood Family Dental
- Brentwood and Oakley, California area patients can enjoy therapy for TMJ with a dental professional
- Alternatives to traditional methods for sleep apnea and snoring relief available in Brentwood
- Brentwood area patients who have TMJ disorder can seek treatment with Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
- Brentwood, CA dentist describes obstructive sleep apnea
- Walnut Creek residents can visit area dentist for a sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea and treatment with latest innovations
- Brentwood patient asks, "What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?"
- Stop snoring with effective therapy from doctor in Brentwood
- Patients in Walnut Creek, CA seek a caring dentist to treat symptoms of TMJ disorder
- For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
- See your dentist for CPAP intolerance in Brentwood CA
- TMJ treatment in the Walnut Creek, CA area may alleviate chronic headache pain
- Your Brentwood dentist can determine if snoring is obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep breathing disorders may masquerade as insomnia. Your dentist near Antioch can find the underlying cause of sleep loss
- Finding a dentist to treat TMJ near Discovery Bay, CA leads to improved quality of life
- Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist can find the underlying cause of concerning symptoms