Stop snoring with effective therapy from doctor in Brentwood
Snoring may be viewed as a mildly irritating condition; however, chronic snoring may be a sign of a serious underlying medical condition. Snoring occurs when air is unable to pass through the mouth and nose while an individual is sleeping. This may happen due to the narrowing of the airway caused by soft tissue blockage or inappropriate sleep posture.
It is estimated that about 40% of all people snore. Occasional snoring may not present a problem unless the noise disturbs other household members. As the lungs exert effort to draw oxygen through obstructed airways, a vibration of the soft palate in the roof of the mouth creates the sound of snoring, at times accompanied by snorting. If the muscles that maintain an open airway are too relaxed or excess tissue forms, snoring can occur. Factors that increase the likelihood of snoring include:
- Muscle relaxers, antihistamines, cold and flu remedies, and sleeping pills
- Having excess weight
- Sleeping on the back or with a pillow that is too soft or too large
- Having nasal irregularities like a deviated nasal septum or a long soft palate or uvula
While snoring can be a benign condition, about 75 percent of people who snore have obstructive sleep apnea, which causes the airway to close, interrupting breathing and oxygen delivery multiple times during sleep. Sleep apnea, if left untreated, can have serious consequences beyond daytime sleepiness or a partner's discomfort, including:
- Heart attack, arrhythmia, or heart failure
- High blood pressure
At Brentwood Family Dental, Dr. Jamil Alkhoury is a talented, experienced, and respected dentist offering a comprehensive array of advanced dental and oral health care, including sleep apnea and snoring. Our office has been certified to conduct sleep studies for scoring and diagnosis of obstructive sleep apnea. Therapy for sleep apnea or snoring can include home treatment, behavior modification, or use of medical devices or equipment. Many patients respond favorably to treatment with our Medibyte oral airway appliance, which positions the jaw to maximize an open airway and the steady flow of oxygen.
For more information about treatment for sleep apnea and snoring, call our professional team today at 925-344-5296.
Last Updated - September 2015
Back to Family Dentistry Home Page
- Brentwood, CA dentist offers treatment for the jaw joints for patients with TMJ or TMD
- Dentist in Brentwood, CA describes obstructive sleep apnea symptoms and effective treatment
- Brentwood, CA dentist suggests oral appliance therapy as treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood area dentist discusses the symptoms, causes, and treatment of TMJ disorder
- Learn about the ways sleep apnea can hurt your health from Brentwood, CA dentist
- Dentist in Brentwood describes signs that you may have obstructive sleep apnea and need appliances
- Can a dentist help with sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea?
- Sleep apnea treatment by a dentist may eliminate the need for CPAP therapy
- Treatment for sleep apnea is available for Brentwood and Walnut Creek, CA area patients at Brentwood Family Dental
- Brentwood and Oakley, California area patients can enjoy therapy for TMJ with a dental professional
- Alternatives to traditional methods for sleep apnea and snoring relief available in Brentwood
- Brentwood area patients who have TMJ disorder can seek treatment with Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
- Brentwood, CA dentist describes obstructive sleep apnea
- Walnut Creek residents can visit area dentist for a sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea and treatment with latest innovations
- Brentwood patient asks, "What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?"
- Stop snoring with effective therapy from doctor in Brentwood
- Patients in Walnut Creek, CA seek a caring dentist to treat symptoms of TMJ disorder
- For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
- See your dentist for CPAP intolerance in Brentwood CA
- TMJ treatment in the Walnut Creek, CA area may alleviate chronic headache pain
- Your Brentwood dentist can determine if snoring is obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep breathing disorders may masquerade as insomnia. Your dentist near Antioch can find the underlying cause of sleep loss
- Finding a dentist to treat TMJ near Discovery Bay, CA leads to improved quality of life
- Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist can find the underlying cause of concerning symptoms
These video testimonials are from actual patients treated by Dr. Alkhoury after their consent to display their testimonials
, results are not the same and may vary.
Brentwood family dental In the news
Award Winning Dentistry With An Artistic Touch!
I would recommend Dr. Alkhoury to everyone I know. I've always had issues with my teeth and getting numb. That definitely is not the case with Dr.Alkhoury. I instantly got numb with no pain at all. He is very professional and very good at what he does. The staff is always great there as well. It is an overall great office and a good experience