Patients in Walnut Creek, CA seek a caring dentist to treat symptoms of TMJ disorder
More than 10 million Americans suffer from TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorder or TMD (temporomandibular disorder) according to the Academy of General Dentistry. Anywhere from 65 to 85 percent of Americans could experience one of many symptoms of the disorder throughout their lifetimes, according to The TMJ Association, Ltd. With statistics like these, it is critical to seek treatment if you notice warning signs such as jaw pain Patients in Walnut Creek, CA and beyond seek gentle care at Brentwood Family Dental when they experience symptoms of the disorder. Patients can count on caring dentist Dr. Jamil Alkhoury to listen to concerns, identify the causes of the symptoms, and provide the right diagnoses.
Understanding the TMJ
The TMJ is one of the most complex joints in the body. The body has hinging joints such as elbows and gliding joints such as hands. However, the jaw both hinges and glides. Its muscles, ligaments, and discs are constantly hard at work. The jaw muscle is the TMJ. A disc connects the lower jaw to the skull and pulls in different directions as well as stretches when overused. The result may be popping or clicking when opening and closing the mouth, a common symptom of TMD. Other signs of the disorder include discomfort when chewing, neck pain, earaches, toothaches, and swelling on one side of the face. If you have noticed any of these symptoms, it is important to seek treatment immediately.
At your appointment, Dr. Alkhoury may ask any of the following questions:
- When did you first notice the symptoms?
- Have you experienced a constant pain or do symptoms come and go?
- Are there particular activities that trigger the pain?
- Has your stress level increased recently?
- Are you having difficulty opening and closing your mouth?
Dr. Alkhoury will review your medical history as well as examine your mouth. He will examine the jaw and observe its range of motion when you open and close your mouth. He may press on areas surrounding the jaw to determine any sites of pain. Dr. Alkhoury’s top priority is to determine the cause of the symptoms. Once he has prescribed a diagnosis, he will devise a treatment plan with you. If you are suffering from TMD, we have a treatment that can provide relief.
Have you experienced symptoms of TMD? If you have, we recommend scheduling an appointment with Dr. Alkhoury today by calling 925-344-5296.
Last Updated - April 2015
Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
Dr Jamil Alkhoury believes dentists to be artists. Taking care of another person’s teeth is definitely an art in which Dr Jamil Alkhoury is an expert. Having graduated from University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) with a degree in Advanced Education in General Dentistry, he has always focused on the well-being of his patients. Brentwood family dental headed by Dr Jamil Alkhoury offers a wide range of services. He always keeps in touch with the developments in the field, to serve his purpose to the best of his abilities.
Back to Family Dentistry Home Page
- Understanding the dangerous connection between obstructive sleep apnea and high blood pressure levels
- Treatments for TMJ disorders and associated pain relief with Brentwood area dentist
- Brentwood, CA area dentist offers therapy options for TMJ headaches and obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood, CA dentist offers treatment for the jaw joints for patients with TMJ or TMD
- Dentist in Brentwood, CA describes obstructive sleep apnea symptoms and effective treatment
- Brentwood, CA dentist suggests oral appliance therapy as treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood area dentist discusses the symptoms, causes, and treatment of TMJ disorder
- Learn about the ways sleep apnea can hurt your health from Brentwood, CA dentist
- Dentist in Brentwood describes signs that you may have obstructive sleep apnea and need appliances
- Can a dentist help with sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea?
- Sleep apnea treatment by a dentist may eliminate the need for CPAP therapy
- Treatment for sleep apnea is available for Brentwood and Walnut Creek, CA area patients at Brentwood Family Dental
- Brentwood and Oakley, California area patients can enjoy therapy for TMJ with a dental professional
- Alternatives to traditional methods for sleep apnea and snoring relief available in Brentwood
- Brentwood area patients who have TMJ disorder can seek treatment with Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
- Brentwood, CA dentist describes obstructive sleep apnea
- Walnut Creek residents can visit area dentist for a sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea and treatment with latest innovations
- Brentwood patient asks, "What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?"
- Stop snoring with effective therapy from doctor in Brentwood
- Patients in Walnut Creek, CA seek a caring dentist to treat symptoms of TMJ disorder
- For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
- See your dentist for CPAP intolerance in Brentwood CA
- TMJ treatment in the Walnut Creek, CA area may alleviate chronic headache pain
- Your Brentwood dentist can determine if snoring is obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep breathing disorders may masquerade as insomnia. Your dentist near Antioch can find the underlying cause of sleep loss
- Finding a dentist to treat TMJ near Discovery Bay, CA leads to improved quality of life
- Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist can find the underlying cause of concerning symptoms
Patient full consent to show the case of her son is enforced and results may vary!
Brentwood family dental In the news
Award Winning Dentistry With An Artistic Touch!
A Success Story
Originally, Powered By
Dr Alkhoury is wonderful! He took great care of my 5 year old daughter. He and his assistant made my daughter feel very comfortable. She is wanting to come back to the dentist for her next check up already. Highly recommend! They are the best at Brentwood Family Dental. Thank you Dr Alkhoury!!!