Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist can find the underlying cause of concerning symptoms
Neck pain is a common experience for many people. Often, pain in the neck and shoulders can reach a point where activities are affected due to discomfort. Finding the cause of neck pain may seem simple, but this condition, as well as headaches, earaches, and pain in the different parts of the face may all be caused by a problem in the jaw. At the back of the jaw, on each side, is a temporomandibular joint. This pair of joints works in unison, facilitating speech, chewing, and more. Faced with undue stress, the temporomandibular joints, or TMJs, can become dysfunctional.
Dysfunction in the TMJs can create a complex set of problems – a domino effect. This is possible because the joints at the back of the jaw are connected to muscles and ligaments that wrap around the head and neck, as well as the face. The intricate nature of the overall structure of the head and neck can make it difficult to diagnose when the underlying cause of discomfort is the jaw. Typically, an association between head and neck pain and TMJ Disorder is not obvious. Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist, Dr. Alkhoury, can help you discover if the jaws are the cause of pain.
One of the factors that a dentist checks with TMJ disorder is how the jaw is positioned when closed. Often, when the jaw does not close evenly, the subsequent malfunction places excessive stress on the overall jaw structure. The impact of the malfunctioning bite extends to the muscles and ligaments attached to the TMJs, which reach all the way around the neck and into the shoulders.
The stress on these muscles comes from their constant attempt to create functional chewing. As the muscles of the head and neck are responsible for supporting good posture in the upper body, their fatigue is felt in various areas not often associated with the jaw.
Most often, people think that TMJ will make it difficult to chew, or that they will hear a popping sound when they move their jaw. TMJ Disorder can produce a host of symptoms that are quite concerning, such as:
- Chronic pain in the neck and shoulder area
- Chronic headaches, even migraines
- Pain or ringing in the ears, or diminished hearing
- Numbness or tingling in the arms and fingers
- Sensitivity in the jaws or teeth
- Pain when chewing or speaking
- Limited range of motion, or locking of the jaw
Finding the cause of head or neck pain will lead to effective treatment, which can greatly improve your quality of life. Contact Brentwood Family Dental to determine if TMJ is behind your pain.
Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
Dr Jamil Alkhoury believes dentists to be artists. Taking care of another person’s teeth is definitely an art in which Dr Jamil Alkhoury is an expert. Having graduated from University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) with a degree in Advanced Education in General Dentistry, he has always focused on the well-being of his patients. Brentwood family dental headed by Dr Jamil Alkhoury offers a wide range of services. He always keeps in touch with the developments in the field, to serve his purpose to the best of his abilities.
Back to Family Dentistry Home Page
- Treatments for TMJ disorders and associated pain relief with Brentwood area dentist
- Brentwood, CA area dentist offers therapy options for TMJ headaches and obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood, CA dentist offers treatment for the jaw joints for patients with TMJ or TMD
- Dentist in Brentwood, CA describes obstructive sleep apnea symptoms and effective treatment
- Brentwood, CA dentist suggests oral appliance therapy as treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood area dentist discusses the symptoms, causes, and treatment of TMJ disorder
- Learn about the ways sleep apnea can hurt your health from Brentwood, CA dentist
- Dentist in Brentwood describes signs that you may have obstructive sleep apnea and need appliances
- Can a dentist help with sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea?
- Sleep apnea treatment by a dentist may eliminate the need for CPAP therapy
- Treatment for sleep apnea is available for Brentwood and Walnut Creek, CA area patients at Brentwood Family Dental
- Brentwood and Oakley, California area patients can enjoy therapy for TMJ with a dental professional
- Alternatives to traditional methods for sleep apnea and snoring relief available in Brentwood
- Brentwood area patients who have TMJ disorder can seek treatment with Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
- Brentwood, CA dentist describes obstructive sleep apnea
- Walnut Creek residents can visit area dentist for a sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea and treatment with latest innovations
- Brentwood patient asks, "What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?"
- Stop snoring with effective therapy from doctor in Brentwood
- Patients in Walnut Creek, CA seek a caring dentist to treat symptoms of TMJ disorder
- For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
- See your dentist for CPAP intolerance in Brentwood CA
- TMJ treatment in the Walnut Creek, CA area may alleviate chronic headache pain
- Your Brentwood dentist can determine if snoring is obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep breathing disorders may masquerade as insomnia. Your dentist near Antioch can find the underlying cause of sleep loss
- Finding a dentist to treat TMJ near Discovery Bay, CA leads to improved quality of life
- Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist can find the underlying cause of concerning symptoms