Exceptionally skilled Brentwood dentist explains the causes of gum recession
Brushing the teeth, flossing properly, and regular dental check-ups can help in avoiding gum disease. A sign of gingivitis is swollen gums or gums that bleed when brushing and flossing. This is the first stage of gum disease. More than 30 percent of the population is genetically susceptible to gum disease, which is the leading cause of gum recession. The disease can lead to teeth shifting and tooth loss. When patients experience symptoms of gum disease, they seek exceptionally skilled dentist Dr. Jamil Alkhoury. They will find compassionate and gentle treatment at his practice, Brentwood Family Dental in Brentwood, CA.
Understanding the causes of gum recession
Gum recession is the process in which gum tissue that surrounds the teeth wears away or pulls back, which can expose teeth roots. Then, pockets form between the teeth and gum line where bacteria build up. Tooth sensitivity is a sign of gum recession. In addition to gum disease, other causes of gum recession include:
- Tooth brushing habits – Abrasive brushing can cause the tooth enamel to wear away and gums to recede.
- Oral hygiene habits – When tartar buildup is not properly removed when brushing and flossing, it can lead to gum recession.
- Genetics – Some people are more susceptible to gum recession.
- Hormonal changes – Pregnancy and menopause can lead to gums that are more sensitive and increase the risk of gum recession.
- Grinding and clenching the teeth – Extra force on the teeth can cause the gums to recede.
- Tobacco use – Smoking can wreak havoc on the mouth, teeth, and gums as well as the whole body.
- Malocclusion – Gums may recede when the when teeth do not come together evenly when biting.
- Misaligned teeth – The condition can make it difficult to keep the teeth clean and may lead to gum recession.
If you have experienced symptoms of gum recession, we recommend scheduling an appointment with Dr. Alkhoury. He will examine your mouth, teeth, and gums to determine the right diagnosis and treatment. We can provide a minimally invasive treatment called the Pinhole Surgical Technique™ that can restore the health of the gums. Step onto a path toward relief today by calling 925-344-5296.
Last Updated - April 2015
Back to Gum Lift Rejuvenation Home Page
Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
Dr Jamil Alkhoury believes dentists to be artists. Taking care of another person’s teeth is definitely an art in which Dr Jamil Alkhoury is an expert. Having graduated from University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) with a degree in Advanced Education in General Dentistry, he has always focused on the well-being of his patients. Brentwood family dental headed by Dr Jamil Alkhoury offers a wide range of services. He always keeps in touch with the developments in the field, to serve his purpose to the best of his abilities.
Patient full consent to show the case of her son is enforced and results may vary!
Brentwood family dental In the news
Award Winning Dentistry With An Artistic Touch!
A Success Story
Originally, Powered By
Dr Alkhoury is wonderful! He took great care of my 5 year old daughter. He and his assistant made my daughter feel very comfortable. She is wanting to come back to the dentist for her next check up already. Highly recommend! They are the best at Brentwood Family Dental. Thank you Dr Alkhoury!!!