Oral Care for Children
Back to Pediatrics and Orthodontics Home Page
There is nothing greater than your child's smile and keeping that smile healthy is as important as the rest of his or her wellness. While being responsible for the health of your child's teeth may seem like an overwhelming task, the truth is with a few basic steps you can start oral health on the right track.
At-home care and regular dental care both play a vital role in your child's oral health. We've put together this list of basic oral care tips for children to help you out.
- Oral hygiene can begin before the first tooth appears - You should be wiping your infant's gums down after each feeding with a soft, damp cloth
- Begin brushing after the first tooth appears - Once your child has their first tooth you can begin brushing with a soft bristled brush designed for infants
- Never put your baby to bed with a bottle of milk or juice - Bottle decay is a common problem among young children and occurs when they are put to bed with beverages containing sugar. If you must give them a bottle at naptime, use water
- Allow your child to try brushing when he or she shows interest - It is great that your child is showing an interest in oral health. Just make sure to supervise and help finish up the brushing process
- Avoid sugary foods and beverages - This tip isn't just for the health of the teeth, it is also a good practice for overall wellness. Sugary, starchy, and acidic foods can soften tooth enamel and increase the risk of decay
- Choose the right snacks - Have items like carrots, celery, cheese, and raisins available to your child to encourage smart snacking
- Protect the mouth during sports - Once your child begins playing sports, make sure that the teeth are properly protected from trauma.
- Make it fun -No one says that oral care has to be boring. Make up a silly song, brush your teeth together, do whatever you have to make taking care of the teeth a fun time for your child.
For more oral care tips for children, or to schedule a visit, call us today.
Patient full consent to show the case of her son is enforced and results may vary!
Brentwood family dental In the news
Award Winning Dentistry With An Artistic Touch!
Class,awsome, great staff, customer service #1 and best Doctor Alkhoury