Brentwood, CA dentist describes obstructive sleep apnea
Getting a good night’s sleep is crucial to proper functioning every day. Patients who are shorted on sleep or do not get quality sleep may experience a variety of issues. They may feel fatigued throughout the day and have difficulty with simple tasks. They may struggle at work and try to use caffeine to get them through the day. Patients may also experience increased risks of anxiety and depression if they are chronically tired. When patients are never feeling rested after a night of sleep, they may be struggling with a condition that affects approximately 25 million adults in the United States: obstructive sleep apnea.
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a sleeping disorder that keeps patients from reaching the deep, restorative sleep they need to feel their best every day. This condition results from a blockage in the airways. This may be a collapse in the soft tissues or the tongue falling back into the throat. Regardless of how it happens, it can cause patients to partially awaken hundreds of times each night without even realizing it. Because the symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea occur while patients sleep, to get a proper diagnosis a sleep study is needed.
Sleep studies allow a physician to evaluate one’s sleeping patterns and take note if sleep apnea events occur. Once diagnosed, patients can discuss with their doctor an appropriate treatment plan. Many times, a doctor may suggest therapy with a CPAP machine. The mask is worn over the nose and mouth at night and administers positive air pressure to keep the airways open. However, this machine can be cumbersome, uncomfortable, and inconvenient for patients to wear every night. Patients often stop complying with treatment and therefore, never address their condition properly.
Instead, patients may want to speak to their dentist in Brentwood, CA. Dr. Jamil Alkhoury of Brentwood Family Dental provides an alternative solution for patients with obstructive sleep apnea. This is achieved with oral appliance therapy. This treatment allows patients to wear a simple mouth guard at night to control their condition. It holds down the tongue and positions the jaw so that the airways are open for airflow. Patients find this alternative easier to comply with, as it is more comfortable and less obtrusive than the CPAP machine.
Last Updated - June 2016
Back to Family Dentistry Home Page
- Brentwood, CA dentist offers treatment for the jaw joints for patients with TMJ or TMD
- Dentist in Brentwood, CA describes obstructive sleep apnea symptoms and effective treatment
- Brentwood, CA dentist suggests oral appliance therapy as treatment for obstructive sleep apnea
- Brentwood area dentist discusses the symptoms, causes, and treatment of TMJ disorder
- Learn about the ways sleep apnea can hurt your health from Brentwood, CA dentist
- Dentist in Brentwood describes signs that you may have obstructive sleep apnea and need appliances
- Can a dentist help with sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea?
- Sleep apnea treatment by a dentist may eliminate the need for CPAP therapy
- Treatment for sleep apnea is available for Brentwood and Walnut Creek, CA area patients at Brentwood Family Dental
- Brentwood and Oakley, California area patients can enjoy therapy for TMJ with a dental professional
- Alternatives to traditional methods for sleep apnea and snoring relief available in Brentwood
- Brentwood area patients who have TMJ disorder can seek treatment with Dr. Jamil Alkhoury
- Brentwood, CA dentist describes obstructive sleep apnea
- Walnut Creek residents can visit area dentist for a sleep study to diagnose sleep apnea and treatment with latest innovations
- Brentwood patient asks, "What are the symptoms of sleep apnea?"
- Stop snoring with effective therapy from doctor in Brentwood
- Patients in Walnut Creek, CA seek a caring dentist to treat symptoms of TMJ disorder
- For many sleep apnea patients, a CPAP alternative in Brentwood CA is preferred
- See your dentist for CPAP intolerance in Brentwood CA
- TMJ treatment in the Walnut Creek, CA area may alleviate chronic headache pain
- Your Brentwood dentist can determine if snoring is obstructive sleep apnea
- Sleep breathing disorders may masquerade as insomnia. Your dentist near Antioch can find the underlying cause of sleep loss
- Finding a dentist to treat TMJ near Discovery Bay, CA leads to improved quality of life
- Your Walnut Creek TMJ dentist can find the underlying cause of concerning symptoms
Patient full consent to show the case of her son is enforced and results may vary!
Brentwood family dental In the news
Award Winning Dentistry With An Artistic Touch!
Dr Alkhoury is a true artist. Brentwood Family Dental has it all! One stop from implants, Ortho, cosmetic and children's dentistry. All his staff it's awesome! Best of Brentwood #1